Disclaimer

The ramblings of a working, knitting, writing wife and mother.

Monday, August 22, 2011

The Gnomes Go Marching One By One: A BJD Photo Story

Wow, this one took forever to make. . .the things that I do for your entertainment! The last time we saw our resin darlings, Gryffin was thinking of sewing and stuffing all seven of my unfinished Yuletide Gnomes because I carelessly mentioned that I would pay two hundred dollars to anyone who would save me from having to do it. That would be just fine except for one tiny thing.

Gryffin can't sew to save his life.

IMG_2192

Gryffin: "Hopeless . . . just hopeless. She'll be home tonight and I haven't even really started. What was I thinking?"

IMG_2193

Kotori: "Gryffin? I thought you were still sleeping. What are you doing up here so early?"
Gryffin: "Sewing. . . well . . ."

IMG_2194

Kotori: "Really? Sewing? Good for you! Can I look?"
Gryffin: "Um. . . yeah, ok."

IMG_2195

Kotori: "Well, your stitches are pretty even, but what you are making exactly?"
Gryffin: "I was going to sew up Mom's gnomes for her before she gets home tonight."

IMG_2196

Kotori: "Oh! That's so nice of you! But, if I may, I think you'll want to seam these up with mattress stitch instead of what you've been using. It will make the stitches invisible. I can show you how . . ."

IMG_2197

Gryffin: "Forget it. Even if you showed me, there isn't enough time to do all seven."
Kotori: "Maybe not by yourself."

IMG_2198

Kotori: "But if we worked as a team, I bet we could do it."
Gryffin: "Really, Kotori? But, aren't you busy today?"

IMG_2199

Kotori: "Not so busy I can't help a friend in need. Right? I'll just pull this out for a fresh start."

IMG_2200

Kotori: "Then I'll do the stitching, and you can do the stuffing and sorting. Ok? Oh, and would you mind bringing my work chair in here for me?"
Gryffin: "Oh, sure, be right back."

IMG_2201

Kotori: "This is such a good idea, Gryffin. Your mom is going to be so surprised! I feel just like that fairy tale about the shoemaker and the elves, don't you?"
Gryffin: "Heh. . . yeah . . . just like that."

IMG_2206

Kotori: "There's another arm all seamed up! That must be the last of the green ones."

IMG_2207

Kotori: "Put it on the pile . . . wow."

IMG_2208

Kotori: "That's quite the pile. Gryffin? How's the stuffing coming along?"

IMG_2209

Kotori: "Gryffin?"
Gryffin: "And Kingsley takes his aim, readying his approach."

IMG_2212

Gryffin: "There's the release . . . looking good . . . looking really good."

IMG_2213

Gryffin: "STRIKE!!"

IMG_2215

Gryffin: "High five!"

IMG_2216

Kotori: "I thought you wanted to be done before your mom comes home tonight."
Gryffin: "Um, yeah, I do."
Kotori: "Then we're going to have to work together. Here. Start stuffing."

IMG_2217

Gryffin: "Sorry, Kotori. I couldn't resist the gnome bowling pins. I'll do better. Now what do you want me to do?"
Kotori: "I need you to stuff these pieces I've already seamed and then sort them out so I know what goes with what gnome. Can you do that?"

IMG_2218

Gryffin: "No problem. This hat goes with this one. And this hat goes with this one. And this one over here, that one over there . . ."

IMG_2220

Gryffin: "And this one is for you!"

IMG_2221

Kotori: "Gryffin, what do I need a hat for?"
Gryffin: "It's magic. Trust me."
Kotori: Sighs. "Whatever you say."

IMG_2222

Gryffin: "I pulled a panda out of that hat the day before yesterday. Honest. It's magic."
Kotori: "Are you stuffing limbs yet?"

IMG_2223

Gryffin: "Kotori, look! I'm a gnome!"

IMG_2224

Kotori: "Gryffin, please . . . please focus. I said I'd help you, but I didn't say I'd do it for you."

IMG_2225

Gryffin: "I'm stuffing! I'll be good. Please stay and help me."
Kotori: "That's better."

IMG_2226

Gryffin: "By the way, Kotori. Don't get me wrong; I'm super grateful, but why did you drop your plans for the day to work on this with me?"

IMG_2227

Kotori: "There are lots of reasons, I guess. I want to do something nice for your mom too and this is a great way to show her how much I appreciate all she does for me. And, no offense, you really needed someone to help you with the sewing. And, honestly, it's been a long time since we. . . well . . . we haven't really spent much . . um . . I mean. . "

IMG_2229

Kotori: "Anyway, you'd do the same for me. Can I have that nose back? I need to sew it on."

IMG_2230

Gryffin: "You want my nose?"

IMG_2231

Gryffin: "I guess that's a small price to pay for your cheerful assistance."
Kotori: "Thanks."

Awkward silence turned into occupied silence turned into unconscious silence as the pair worked and worked throughout the day, turning out gnomes left and right. But luckily for you, through the magic of the blogosphere, we can fast forward to much, much later that evening.

IMG_2233

Kotori: "That does it. What does this make? Five or six?"

IMG_2234

Gryffin: "One, two, three . . .it makes six. Almost done!"

IMG_2237

Kotori: "What a relief. I'm almost gnomed out. How about you?"

IMG_2235

Gryffin: "I'm fine, but you definitely have the hard part. Are you holding up ok?"

IMG_2236

Kotori: "My hands are getting tired. I've never sewn this much all at once before."
Gryffin: "Do you want to take a break?"

IMG_2238

Kotori: "No, this is the last one. Let's get it finished."

IMG_2239

Gryffin: "Good thing it's the last one. We really were cutting it close on the stuffing."

IMG_2241

Gryffin: "This is it. Just enough to put in the last nose."

IMG_2244

Gryffin: "You did a great job, Kotori. All these gnomes look fantastic."
Kotori: "All that's left is to sew on the magic hat."

IMG_2245

Kotori: "Voila! They're all done."
Gryffin: "Let's put them back in the basket where Mom kept all the pieces."

IMG_2246

Kotori: "They look so cute!"
Gryffin: "Thanks for all your help, Kotori. I never would have made it without you."

IMG_2248

Kotori: "It wasn't much. I had a lot of fun today."

IMG_2249

Gryffin: "It was kind of fun, wasn't it? But Kotori? You know what that basket is missing?"
Kotori: "What? All seven gnomes are there."
Gryffin: "YOU!" Gently pushes her into the basket.

IMG_2250

Kotori: "Oooff! Oh, hey, it's actually pretty comfortable in here."

IMG_2251

Kotori turns over and promptly falls asleep while Gryffin watches.

IMG_2252

Until the door opens.

Me: Gryffin? What are you doing up so late? You weren't waiting up for me, were you?"

IMG_2253

Gryffin: "Shh, kind of. We just finished."
Me: What are you talking about?"

IMG_2254

Gryffin: "Kotori and I have been working on a surprise for you. We finished all your gnomes while you were gone."
Me: "You did! Oh, you're kidding! That's amazing, Gryffin. I can't believe you did that!"

IMG_2255

Gryffin: "Actually, all the thanks goes to Kotori. She reorganized her whole day so she could help me. I was going to do it on my own after you said that you would pay anyone two hundred dollars for it . . but then I couldn't even sew one seam without her help. She did everything."
Me: "I see. Did you tell Kotori about the two hundred dollars?"
Gryffin: "No. Are you kidding? Kotori doesn't care about stuff like that. She just did it to help you and me. . .that's how she is."
Me: "You're right, but I should give you both something. That was a lot of work you saved me from."

Gryffin: "No, Mom, that's ok. Honestly? I think I'd give you two hundred dollars just to do this day all over again . . "
Me: "Oh? Does that mean you'll sew together my next order? There's only half a dozen this time around."
Gryffin: "Sure, whatever you like."
Me: "Great. But we'll talk about it more in the morning. I'm headed up to bed, how about you?"

IMG_2256

Gryffin: "You go ahead. I'll be up in a little while."

The end!

IMG_2257
IMG_2258











3 comments:

  1. Awwww, sweet! I knit ONE of those little gnomes and yeah, the sewing up is a bear. I have enough handspun to do a few more but I don't have Kotori and Gryffin here to sew them up and stuff them for me so they might never be made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a most lovely story!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, that was adorable! Well worth all the work, I'd say. Your gnomes are super cute, and those are some amazing helpers you have there!

    ReplyDelete