Disclaimer

The ramblings of a working, knitting, writing wife and mother.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Happy Birthday, Cassidy: A BJD Photostory

My niece’s birthday is coming up on Saturday, and since she is Gryffin’s and Kotori’s biggest fan, I thought she might like to see what went on over here while Gryffin tried to find the perfect gift. Kotori, of course, had everything under control, but the operation was rather humorous. I think that she’ll enjoy it. This is for you, Cassidy!

IMG_1780

Gryffin: “Kotori? Kotori, are you home?”

IMG_1785

Kotori: “Over here, Gryffin, welcome back. How was your basketball game?”

IMG_1781

Gryffin: “Fine, but listen, Kotori, I just remembered something important.”
IMG_1786

Kotori (distracted): “Oh? What’s that?”
Gryffin: “It’s my cousin’s birthday on Saturday.”

IMG_1787

Kotori (obviously only half listening and concentrating on her project): “That’s nice. How old is she?”
Gryffin (pausing): “Eight? I don’t know, but, Kotori, it’s on Saturday. As in, like, the day after tomorrow Saturday.”
Kotori: “Hmm-mmm.”

IMG_1788

Gryffin: “Do you hear what I’m saying to you? My cousin’s birthday is on Saturday, and I Do Not Have A Gift For Her!”
Kotori: “Ah.”

IMG_1789

Gryffin: “I can’t believe I forgot about this. It’s not like I don’t own a calendar. It’s not like I’m irresponsible.”
Kotori: “Just a touch forgetful, maybe.”

IMG_1790

Gryffin: “Don’t move, Kotori. I can fix this. I’m going to find a present. I’ll be right back.”
Kotori: “Ok.” (Goes back to her sewing.)

IMG_1792

Gryffin: “Got it! A deck of cards. So she can play euchre at lunch at school and solitaire while she’s waiting for her mom to come pick her up from the library. See? It’s perfect!”


IMG_1793

Kotori: “Um, Gryffin?”
Gryffin (interrupting): “You’re right; it’s so not perfect. Besides, these are my lucky cards. I always win Speed when I use these.”

IMG_1794

Kotori: “That’s not what I meant.”
Gryffin (not waiting for her to finish): “I’m going to look for something else. Be right back.”
Kotori (sighing): “All right.”

IMG_1796

Gryffin: “How about this? Girls love movies like this right?”

IMG_1797

Kotori: “Isn’t that your mom’s?”
Gryffin: “Yeah, but I don’t know why she has it. I mean, she has a SON, right?”
Kotori: “Maybe she likes it? Anyway, you shouldn’t give it away because -”
Gryffin (interrupting again): “Because Cassidy already has this one! Of course; I remember now.”

IMG_1799

Gryffin: “I’ll try again. Don’t go anywhere!”
Kotori (slightly exasperated): “Whatever you say.”

IMG_1802

Gryffin: “A plant! It’s perfect! It teaches responsibility. It can’t be used up. It will be a joy forever. A plant is a great present.”
Kotori: “No, Gryffin, we aren’t sending a plant-“
Gryffin: “No, I guess a plant wouldn’t go through the mail very well, would it? Rats! I’ll have to think of something else.”

IMG_1804

Kotori: “Gryffin, look! I’ve already got Cassidy’s present taken care of.”
Gryffin: “A ball of yarn?”

IMG_1805

Gryffin: “Um, Kotori, I don’t mean to hurt your feelings, but a ball of yarn really isn’t a good gift at all.”
Kotori: “But Gryffin –“

IMG_1806

Gryffin: “I know I gave yarn to Mom at Christmas, so you’re probably confused, but that’s different. See. Mom Really Loves Yarn, but Cassidy, eh, not so much, right?”
Kotori: “No, but that’s not what I’m saying-“

IMG_1807

Gryffin: “It was sweet of you to try, though. Keep thinking and I’ll be right back.”
Kotori: Sighs.

IMG_1811

Gryffin: “Kotori, I’ve got it! This time I really do! I’ll give her this stuffed animal I won at the carnival. She’ll love it!”

IMG_1812

Kotori (slightly annoyed): “What makes you think so?”

IMG_1815

Gryffin: “You’re right. It’s not good enough either. It was a bad idea.”

IMG_1816

Gryffin: “But you know, Kotori, you could help me a little bit instead of just finding something wrong with everything I suggest.”
Kotori sneaks up behind Gryffin and throws her big pink project over his head.

IMG_1817

Gryffin: “Oooomph!!”
Kotori: “If you’ll hold still a minute and let me say something, I can help you. When you're ready to listen you can come out from under Cassidy's gift.”
Gryffin (muffled): "Gift?"

IMG_1819

Gryffin (pulling the big pink thing off his head): “What is this?”
Kotori: “It’s the skirt your niece asked for months ago. Your mother knit it, and I just finished the sewing up. Now do you want to help me so you can say you worked on it too?”
Gryffin (sheepishly): “Yes?”

IMG_1821

Kotori: “Ok. Then take these scissors.”
Gryffin (humbled): “Ok.”

IMG_1822

Kotori: “And cut this thread.”
Gryffin: “Got it.”

IMG_1823

Kotori: “There. Now it’s finished, and you can say that you helped.”
Gryffin: “Thanks, Kotori. It’s just what she’ll like, I know it. But I have just one question now.”
Kotori: “What’s that?”
Gryffin: “What are we getting my Mom for her birthday?”

IMG_1825

Kotori: Groans and slumps
Gryffin: “Haha. Just kidding. I’ll figure it out by myself. After all, I still have a couple of months to think about it. Hey, don’t sigh. That’s plenty of time! Kotori? Are you laughing or crying? Kotori?”

IMG_1826

Happy Birthday Cassidy!!

1 comment:

  1. Cute photostory...and skirt! I hope your niece enjoys both.

    ReplyDelete